Lower Garden District

Stately mansions line the Lower Garden District which has a rich and varied architectural character that reflects over a century of development. The District was laid out as streets and city blocks in 1809 by surveyor Barthelemy Lafon.    Double gallery side halls with Greek Revival temple fronts began appearing in the 1840s.  Coliseum Square, a three block long park in the center of the District, was originally intended as the site of a coliseum.   This neighborhood is often listed as “one of the best in America.”